Thursday, October 14, 2010

HIV y Piojo free!

Not as much to talk about this week...but we have had quite the experience...

Last steps in visa process:
So, we got our blood test results and negative of course! This means we are okay to work in Bolivia
Besides the little mess' up, where my one document said I was from Peru, it´s all good. They fixed it and...
We sent in our visa junk FINALLY on Monday, so it´s off to La Paz and no more late fees PLUS the year starts when the visa gets issued, which takes a couple weeks to a couple months, depending.

piojo = lice: We had the privelige of bathing duty on Saturday, which sometimes the older girls do, but I enjoy it. It was also LICE SHAMPOO DAY for everyone! So, we scrubbed and timed all the girls´ heads from Kinder to 4th grade before they showered. After showers, nuns combed them all up and Angela said dead lice was flying all over from their heads. So the lice threat is dampered, at least for now...

Bolivian debut:

   Sunday, after Mass, we went to a fundraiser where one of the girls does her practicum for Univ. It´s at a rehabilitation center for those with disabilities and such. We ate lunch there (picante mixte = chicken, cow tongue, potato, picante sauce, and chuño which is dehydrated and reboiled potato), plus had to try some Garapiña (corn drink with a little alcohol and strawberry juice too, for flavor) not too bad. Then we were off to the Missionary House near the church to celebrate St. Maximilian. Bathroom did not have TP, so we just went indian, left hand and all...now I´m not so grossed out by it....
       So although we told that couple friend we already ate, they bought us each a charipan (which is a type of sausage on bun with onion, ketchup, and tomato so like a Bolivian hot dog). It was good, there was a Bolivian folk band playing from the church too, so we danced a little bit and then on to the talent portion... Our Circulo Biblico did our skit that I talked about earlier and other groups did dances and such, but it started late so we couldn´t stay the whole time. Came back, did an english lesson with one of the older girls and got ready for dinner, which was the lunch they saved us from that day! So we basically had 3 lunches and I ended up eating quite a bit of beets, not realizing and Angela made me laugh and I almost choked to death and spewed beet-rice junk on the floor of our eating area. SO EMBARASSING and one of the nuns walks in before I could clean it up. I ended up peeing pink the entire next day! ...I have since recovered!

Anyway, one of the little ones is sick, but she still has to do hw and go to school so she´s been pretty slow and whiney all week. All three of them have been pretty distracted and tired, but besides that things are good.
FINALLY saw Letters to Juliet the other night. It was actually pretty good, been trying to keep up with journaling and such. Also, last night we had Bible class and both had this awesome drink, Api before it. (made of purple corn) and needed to use the restroom, well it wouldn´t flush what was already in there, no TP, and no soap! Angela sacrificed a page of her journal for each of us and we did our best to avoid the stench....oh dear...we will go beforehand from now on, even if we are running late!

Coming up:
My sleeping sched. has changed since Ang´s been here, but I plan to get back on track and back to running next week. Still going mountain climbing this Sunday morning (as usual), then Mass, then some of the girls are dancing at this celebration at their school, so I hope we get to see some of it. Later that evening, we are going to a lady´s house from church who has a daughter from the US but is studying here, so we are invited for tea with them! They live in a neighborhood nearby like maybe 10 min. walk...so another full Sunday coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment