Carnaval is here...
The word carnival actually means ¨farewell to meat¨or ¨farewell to flesh¨ as we give up our humanly desires and work towards bringing ourselves closer to God in giving up something (denying ourselves something we enjoy or an attitude/bad habit we want to stay away from), vow to serve God more by volunteering or paying more attention to those around us, daily prayer/ Mass to speak and praise God, and many others as well as meat (carne).
HOWEVER...this time is to celebrate before we do all of that, so although in the US we celebrate by eating a bunch of junk food and enjoying ourselves, in Bolivia and other cultures it´s by DANCING, PARADES, and WATER FIGHTs!!!
The word carnival actually means ¨farewell to meat¨or ¨farewell to flesh¨ as we give up our humanly desires and work towards bringing ourselves closer to God in giving up something (denying ourselves something we enjoy or an attitude/bad habit we want to stay away from), vow to serve God more by volunteering or paying more attention to those around us, daily prayer/ Mass to speak and praise God, and many others as well as meat (carne).
HOWEVER...this time is to celebrate before we do all of that, so although in the US we celebrate by eating a bunch of junk food and enjoying ourselves, in Bolivia and other cultures it´s by DANCING, PARADES, and WATER FIGHTs!!!
Water also includes suds! I´ve heard that rarely the baloons would be filled with urine... just what we heard, NOT experienced, thank goodness. Also, in Santa Cruz and other areas they add paint and mud. Our fun began Saturday, Santusa and I (she´s 10) decided to creep up on Angela and two of the Jesuit boys we met who came to help out and play with the girls. What turned into innocent fun started a water fight (oops!), but it was ok with the sisters and the boys were good sports.
Luckily it was near the end of their stay and at least Ang and I could change, I did offer them a towel tho to help out. **More about the Jesuit boys in another blog**
Luckily it was near the end of their stay and at least Ang and I could change, I did offer them a towel tho to help out. **More about the Jesuit boys in another blog**
Sunday after Mass we took many of the younger girls to the city to see a concurso for kids, basically it was a parade complete with floats, costumes and some dancing. I had my little spray bottle ready to get anyone who tried to wet my girls haha it was funny, but we did end up getting some espuma (suds) in the face and a little wet on our way to find a good spot to watch.
Tuesday, was the biggest fight yet. I got a couple hilarious videos and some pics, don´t worry I plan to put pics up by next thursday, that´s my goal and i´ll let you know...but for now, I´ll give you the run down...
While we were fighting in the hogar with the girls, our three sisters went to the convent nearby to soak them with water guns and balloons, they were in ponchos and took 3 girls with them to help. When they came back our girls were ready for them and the 3 novices from the convent came back with them. Complete with baldes (buckets) of water, chizguetes (water guns) and espuma spray (suds) they got the sisters good, BUT the sisters were also prepared unbeknownst to us...
They were CRAZY, running all over the hogar soaking all the girls, plus me. Angela had found a big watering can earlier and got just about every girl with it, also a funny sight, and I put my cam away to get more into it, not that it mattered bc I was already soaked...
They were CRAZY, running all over the hogar soaking all the girls, plus me. Angela had found a big watering can earlier and got just about every girl with it, also a funny sight, and I put my cam away to get more into it, not that it mattered bc I was already soaked...
It was a little chilly and after awhile i couldnt´feel my toes, but it was sooo fun! the sisters were worse than the girls but we got them back, well when i say we really angela did, i was camera girl for awhile like I said and trying to hide, UNSUCCESFULLY. oh my if you could have just seen these sisters...a sight i prob. won´t ever forget.
Randomly earlier that day, there was a small parade in our neighborhood so a girl and i watched from the gate inside and there was a man wearing funky, sparkly hair, short shirt, and skirt with his hairy belly sticking out and others dancing a bit and playing a couple instruments (these are adults ok). They threw a balloon and got me right through this little hole in the gate i was peeking thru, in my face. it was a good shot and another silly sight. Oh Bolivia. So yes, great day.
Randomly earlier that day, there was a small parade in our neighborhood so a girl and i watched from the gate inside and there was a man wearing funky, sparkly hair, short shirt, and skirt with his hairy belly sticking out and others dancing a bit and playing a couple instruments (these are adults ok). They threw a balloon and got me right through this little hole in the gate i was peeking thru, in my face. it was a good shot and another silly sight. Oh Bolivia. So yes, great day.
As for food...well I had to finish my ice cream before lent, so I ate it for breakfast with my oatmeal. So delicious! Then we had a huge lunch of bar.b.que meat, cheesy rice (to die for) and potatoes and salad. After the water fight, I showered and it was just about dinner time. I was in 2 chompas, scarf, pants, high sox, and another scarf around my head, the Hermana saw me and just laughed. So we heated up some chocolate milk. That´s all I wanted for dinner that hot drink and a little fruit.
What a great day!
You need to look up Carnaval in Oruro, that´s supposed to be the best dances and you´ll get a taste of it. the costumes are amazing and not all but some are coming fon Saturday for a HUGE parade and dancing in the street here in Cochabamba. I´m so excited to go!!!
Since more young adults and teens will be dancing, I think it´ll be crazier than this past weekend, so I may wear my rain coat but am def. bringing my spray bottle, yes it´s small but it makes me feel armed haha.
QUE VIVA CARNIVAL!
What a great day!
You need to look up Carnaval in Oruro, that´s supposed to be the best dances and you´ll get a taste of it. the costumes are amazing and not all but some are coming fon Saturday for a HUGE parade and dancing in the street here in Cochabamba. I´m so excited to go!!!
Since more young adults and teens will be dancing, I think it´ll be crazier than this past weekend, so I may wear my rain coat but am def. bringing my spray bottle, yes it´s small but it makes me feel armed haha.
QUE VIVA CARNIVAL!
http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2011/03/09/pope-lenten-fasting-and-almsgiving-open-hearts-to-christ/
No comments:
Post a Comment