Monday, May 2, 2011

La Semana Santa

I hope you had the holiest of Holy Weeks and that the Resurrection of Christ stays in your hearts throughout this time. ..

Thursday: Semi-day off, got to spend time with a Bolivian friend and see his University deep in the valley (beautiful). You forget that Bolivian students have the same concerns and ideas any other college student. We shopped for a piñata and balloons for Angela´s bday. Fun day, then came back for Mass and adoration in the Parish church.

Friday: Villa Crucis.
Morning was tranquil, the older kids watched Passion of the Christ until our ¨main meal¨ which consisted of this sweet bread with honey and a little coconut on top (called Biscocho) and arroz con leche. nada mas. Then all girls 6th grade on up and us piled into three taxis for Villa Crucis (Way of the Cross). We met in the tiny chapel of Abra (community maybe 10 minutes down road). Pretty sunny and dusty, but a good day to simulate the three or so hours that Jesus carried His cross.

Not only did we have a nice crowd, beautiful prayers for each station, St. Joseph and Mary (each carried by two people bc their big) and a glass case/casket where jesus´body was (also carried by 2-4 people) BUT we had live reenactment by youth of Abra for each station. This aspect was a surprise and I really enjoyed it (ok not like that, obviously Jesus´journey was not enjoyable, but I mean it added a lot to the experience and what we are celebrating come Easter). The last few crucifixion stations were especially well-done, and these young teens were so serious about their roles it was amazing. Angela and I were asked to carry St. Joseph between two of the stations, so we participated even more, but although it´s not as heavy as a cross it did put in some perspective what Jesus went through, just a little bit. So for each station a family or church put up tables to place what was being carried as we prayed and change carriers for next station. It was a really beautiful experience. Then, of course the service in the church. When we got back to the house, I went straight to bed, zonked.

Saturday
- Vigil Mass
It was a chill day, got to chat with my fam. a bit on skype. The vigil Mass in our chapel was nice, we didn´t have anyone entering the church. When we got back, however, the sisters and I and a few older girls went to the 10pm Mass at the parish church. Their youth band did the music so it was more lively so I got in the pew behind the sisters and danced a little with the 4 older girls that came. After Mass, we got Pastel yay! like fried bread things but so good.
Shirely and I shared chocolate, because we got back around midnight and we wanted to celebrate, then it was time to work with the sisters on setting up and cleaning the comedor, tables, and chairs for our Easter feast mañana. We were up til 1:30am but it was fun hanging out with them and working together. I was to report at 8am sharp to the kitchen to prepare the specail breakfast.

Sunday-Cristo Resucito´Aleluya!
Morning consisted of bread with butter, two types of meat (lunch meat type but a treat for the girls), one boiled egg that the sisters had painted yeterday, and a conejo cookie from those we made Wed. night, we said a special prayer and afterwards went to Mass. It was beautiful and nice to see neighbors that we know and give Pascua greetings and kisses. Afterwards the younger girls watched t.v. while Ang and her parents and I planted easter eggs for the hunting all around the hogar. Then they could go search, but the older girls had to look for the hard ones. They had starbursts inside.
Lunch was also a feast, complete with choclo, rice, chicken, llajua (spicey stuff made with lacoto that Ang and I have grown quite fond of). Then they passed around platters of chocolate bars and thsoe chocolate eggs with prizes in the middle for each of us to have. Plus ice cream sandwiches (bolivian style) for dessert. so delicious!! I was able to chat with Becky at my parent´s house for a bit then we went to visit Doña Nilda & fam (our hiking buddies/neighbors).

No comments:

Post a Comment