A little over a month ago, I had an experience that really rattled
me. It woke me up to realize that although I´ve been living in Bolivia
for quite some time, I still have to be careful. I have a pretty good
grasp of the language, made some amazing friends, but I´m still a
foreignor in a 3rd world country; that is something I cannot hide.
Living in solidarity with the poor is a challenge, some people see you
as something else and all you want is for them to see you as you are. The cat calls in the street, the insecurity I have when I walk alone, making sure my money is well hidden, being weary of unmarked cabs, just things that have ignored/ felt/done to be careful, but never worried too much about until now.
I have been reminded that besides those who pass me in the street and see me as an ignorant, snobby, silly, rich foreignor, perhaps even tourist, there are MANY others who know me and see me as I am, a strong, smart and mature girl working for God, here to be with His children, abandoned and hurt in this big world. There are people that understand, who have gone through similar situations, and have really enouraged me.
God has taken care of me and has sent me some amazing and beautiful angels here in Bolivia. Yo se que puedo superar cualquier cosa
que me pasa. I just have to take care of myself. I also have to remember who I am, why I´m here and know that
suffering happens. God never gives you anything you cannot handle, and
He never abandons you. God knows about the suffering of others,
especially that of those in Bolivia and my girls (they have suffered so much so young), but there is
always hope and laughter and dancing to distract you and remind you that
life can be happy and fun like God intended.
Speaking of dancing...I have done something that I have been waiting almost my whole 2 years to do!
I JOINED A TOBAS FRATERNITY & DANCED IN MY FIRST ENTRADA...check out
my next blog complete with pics and more information on this Bolivian dance and amazing
experience!
No comments:
Post a Comment