Sunday, October 7, 2012

Michelle Llegó!!


It´s was a busy couple of weeks end of August. One of the two sisters who work in the hogar, the director, left on an emergency trip and the other teaches 3 days a week, so I´ve been in charge quite a bit by myself (or sometimes with the educadora). It was tiring, let me tell you, but good for me also. However, now things are a little easier because MICHELLE´S HERE (and the other sister should be back in a week or two max, after 6 weeks away). :)yay;)

She´s fresh and ready to jump right in. Although she doesn´t know much spanish, her eagerness to learn and  easy laughter helps the girls warm up to her.

One day we met one of my friends....
My friend (bolivan accent): Wy arrr you in Bolivia? Wy deed you cum?
Michelle: Because I´ve always wanted to live in an orphanage
later on....
My friend: ow ees your spanich?
Michelle: better than yesterday
I like that attitude!! It also made me laugh histerically as this has become her new mantra


Salteñas in the cancha. YUM!
In her first two weeks, she already experienced a lot..being pushed to learn spanish quickly, getting tested by the girls, meeting my Bolivian mom and my old girls, getting a full tour of the cancha (from hair vendors in trad. braids, to animal guts, fruit, art, and witchcraft), tried her first salteña













went to her first entrada, dressed up in one trad. costume, danced the waca waca with the little ones for padre´s birthday (i´ll get videos up as some point, I helped choreograph that and a fun jazz number with the high schoolers with whom I danced!), and braved a few meals alone with all of the sisters.







She´s been here a month now and doing well, although the work has been tough lately, she had  no choice but to jump in and she´s been doing great! I think she´s glad she came straight to the orpahange, I know I am!


2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that things are going well!! Those salteñas look amaaaazing! Mail me one? :-) ¡Saludos a todos!

    ReplyDelete