Saturday, January 29, 2011

Dance, Retiro, y la Caminata

HAPPY 80th BIRTHDAY GRANDMA!!!

As the Rainy Season continues, we have been stuck inside pretty much every afternoon this week and a couple mornings, giving us some time to relax with the girls or write 2 new blogs haha...

    This past Thursday, my day off, I decided to take the girls to the park nearby in the morning (after chores of course) bc they´ve been asking all week and it was finally sunny. 29 girls 4th grade and up came, no little ones bc I wanted to play some ball. The older girls and I played a real game of basketball in la cancha while the others played on the playground. I haven´t played a real game, full court in forever! It was really fun. We just played to ten then they had to go back to help the sisters with some stuff. I stayed until lunch time with those who wanted to and were allowed to stay, then I headed to the city to meet Angela. 
    Met up with Ang...our Bolivian ID cards are still not ready and it is sup. to only take a month, it was been over two! So silly! I don´t see why we need them anyway, plus they were expensive, but they do look cool and they´ll get here eventually....  I called home and Grandma from a call center, it was like around $2 or $3 for a half hour, nice to talk with some family, then went off to my DANCE class.
     I continue to enjoy my wonderful studio run by siblings. They are both equally entertaining. I now take two classes, both on Tuesday and Thursday evenings back to back. We´ve been doing some new stuff, including more ballet and salsa steps, and are finally begining to work on a little choreography, which I love!

    Speaking of dance...dance classes for the girls here starts up this week as well! Three more girls are able to take classes and the older group (5th grade) are doing jazz this year, all at the same studio! We found out it´s under $60 a year for each girl, so we think that maybe padrino money helps with this PLUS the teacher has taught our girls for years and gives us a big discount. So great that they get the chance to do that. I really enjoy taking them to class too, too bad we aren´t allowed to watch though.


What´s coming up besides school and dance ???
   1. Retiro for us SLM volunteers this coming weekend!
Cannot wait to see everyone again, looks like 11 of us will be here in Cochabamaba and have each prepared a great talk or discussion and reflection, plus it´ll be lots of praying and include an Emmaus walk as well. It has been 3 months since we met at false Thanskgiving so it´ll be great to see what everyone is up to and experiencing!
    2. La Caminata
This is a 40K walk for solidarity, the first one started in 2004 from the USA to Guatemala, diff. organizations and groups take turns, so it has already reached Bolivia and La Paz group has done their part, so begining Feb. 1st Cochabamaba goes all the way to Santa Cruz. End of feb. will be my turn...2 or 3 days of walking 40k each day with set meal times and rest stops and we take turns so each organization involved sends at least two people each day (we have less older girls now so that´s why I may be doing 3 days). Angela and I are of course split up in days with one older girl and one of the sisters. I´m probably doing the part from Chapare (the tropical region) to Bula Bula, so it´s interesting. They also have set up where we are sleeping that night so we can continue early the next morning and the guy who started this will be walking each day, so every 4 days is a rest day. Angela´s walking the mountaineous part where the climate changes. But I´ll let you know the dates so you can pray for my legs haha. I´m looking forward to it though it´ll be a little rough!

No comments:

Post a Comment