Thursday, January 6, 2011

Spreading Joy to the Poor

And the angel said to them, “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy that will be for all the people. (11) For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. (12) And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.”

-Luke 2:10-12
This child in the manger born of Mary is an image I hold dear this Christmas season. As the city of Cochabamba is filled with families, mostly cholita women with small babies or children begging for what little centavos people could give them as they nurse their babies openly on the streets. Not clean, simple, desperate, It brings this story to new light.

What am I doing here? To ¨bring good tidings to the poor¨ and to offer good will to ALL who ask. How can I deny any one of these requests? Whether it´s in exchange for a song or a little dance by a couple kids, or an elderly woman who can barely put her hand out let alone speak very well, or the younger man laying on a bench hoping someone will come by and talk to him, now more than ever people want. There are always a few women or maybe a man on the street, but now that it´s close to Christmas the needs seem endless.

Where were these people before, Lord? Do they have homes? How can I help them the most? I am careful when I give money (which is not often really) I try to give food but sometimes they just want the money. I have turned them down, I have, but it saddens my heart, so I am searching, searching. I wish I knew what they would use it for and who it is ¨safe¨to give it to. These are the thoughts I have as a foreignor, but I know I cannot judge everyone and I continue to pray for God to lead me in the best way to spread the joy of the season and God´s love to all He puts in my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment