Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The joy of the Ascensor...Elevator

Even though our horario during the week is crazy, the weekends aren´t as bad...

    We started working with the girls on math Saturday afternoons, but still have time to play! and sleep in just a tad. Then help with laundry, Saturday is a big washing day for the girls.
   Sunday, we spent all day doing a side part of our job, Padrino letters. These are the supporters from other countries. They get a card from their girl each Christmas and Easter and a little update around now-ish with a picture. The update is just a few sentences on their vacation and beg. of school. So Angela took pictures and I typed, working on my spelling and spanish grammar haha. It was fun because we got to know what each girl did during Christmas break too.

Just a few things from last week I wanted to share...

1) Angela was on the caminata M-W
but her and Hermana Guada and an older girl were helping with food and hospitality for the walkers, but still interesting for them. Got to see a new town of Bolivia and she learned quite a few things about our sisters and a few of the girls that I will share in a diff. blog.

2) The ascensor (elevator)
Really cute...
  I took the middle group to ballet Wed. (ages 7-8 i think). We got there an hour early because we were showing Hermana Michaela where to go, etc. We went for a walk to the plaza not far away and hung out near the water a bit. Then I took them to my dance studio, on same street. Met my teachers and danced a little in gigantic mirror in the lobby. On our way out, they noticed the ascensor (elevator).
    They asked me how it worked. I explained it to them and then asked if they wanted to go in.
¨SI !¨ they exclaimed. The sign says only for use by those who need it, but no one was watching so we went up. Upstairs are just offices, so we came back down. Then we hurried out on the bottom floor so as not to get talked to. They laughed and asked if we can go again on the way home, but it´s in the opposite direction of the micro, so sorry but maybe another day .
     Funny how such a little thing, that seems so normal to us can give the girls so much laughter...just like the escalator at the movie theater. A couple other volunteers have cute stories about the first time they took girls on the escalator, kinda like in the movie ELF when it was Buddy´s first time, nervous, wanting to take your hand..etc...
 3) Our Madre left, we are now with three sisters again, but 2 new ones, Michaela and Lucia (the 2 new ones have gotten a few weeks to get comfortable. They both were in the other hogar in another city so it´s just run a little diff. here but def. have experience and such obviously. We like the new Madre and have gotten to know here faster than we had the other one (which we also liked of course).
4) We have a new volunteer. She´ll be here 2 months. She´s from Germany, she´s our age and seems nice. Her English is A LOT better than her Spanish, so we´ve been communicating and helping her out. She knows some, Spain spanish is just diff. than latin america spanish and that´s what she had learned some of. She´ll catch on with time.
5) I can run in the mornings again...I´ve decided to run, not everyday, but some days in my little morning break. It has been 3 weeks again since I´ve run, so yesterday I went out. It was nice, I didn´t get as far as I hoped, but nice to get out again and pray.

So that´s the update so far, will write about strike and a few other things in my next blog.
Good night and God bless. AND...
HAPPY VALENTINE´S DAY!! Know that the love of God supercedes all human love!

No comments:

Post a Comment