Saturday, February 19, 2011

La Huelga...¨The Strike¨

The Strike means Hogar-Bound all week! 
    So, we are on strike number two in Cochabamba since I´ve been here, but this one is a lot more serious than the last one, although the reason´s not as big (in my opinion). The first one was about the rise in gas prices by Evo to ¨reduce illegal smuggling of gas to other countries¨ bc gas here is one of the cheapest. Well, it lasted a day and there was no transportation and the police did get involved and had to throw gas bombs and such, but in the end it was effective.
   This strike started out with protest against raise in fare for public transportation, it´s only raised about 50 centavos (so to us that´s like 14 cents ?) So it´s like no big deal right, WRONG!
Public transport is the main type here so instead of being Bs1- Bs1.50 for regular, it´s 1.50- 2 and in some areas even 2.50. This is the way people get to and from work everyday, where some may only make a few Bs (bolivianos) that day and then have to pay more to get home. I do understand that so much, however it is also a job for the chofers and if they feel collectively they need to raise prices a bit, they also need to make money and have to change with the scarcity of gas, etc. So I see both sides. Well the people had broken windows on the vehicles and things were being thrown out of windows, rocks at company buildings, just crazy in the city. This was Wednesday, 16th
    Thursday the chofers retaliated...rocks were thrown at windows, some violence, etc. Friday, still no transportation but sounded like the craziness has died down.  We believe there´s transportation today and I can go to dance and take the rest of the day off!
The strike is on hold until Monday. It sounds like they, not sure exactly who, are trying to reach an agreement, so who knows when it will all be over, but soon.

Due to the strike, there was no school Wednesday, Thursday was short day and only those who lived close or had a private car (basically a way to school) had to go. Friday there was no school, however we still did homework time for three hours each day. There was no ballet, no nothing so I was here almost all week for the full homework time! It was good for the girls to have all the help, plus the profe, but also a little frustrating for some of the girls who didn´t want to think anymore or listen to our explanations, but mostly felt like we are making progress with the girls.

Don´t worry about strike, just in the city here, but we are all safe and fine, just also pray for Bolivia and it´s government bc they´re a little silly and of course keep those girls here and all missionaries in your prayers each day.

THE  40K CAMINATA

   Because of the craziness, we (Hermana Guada and some of the older girls) are leaving tomorrow, Sunday, for the 40K walk. We will be starting in the tropical region of Bolivia and walking towards Santa Cruz, so keep us in your prayers on Monday and Tuesday. I wasn´t able to go running in the neighborhood yesterday, so I ran in circles around our property while praying rosary in Spanish in my head. I knew that would make me take longer to pray and I ended up running for 45 minutes!! So I´m ready to go!

Need to go do some laundry and hope it doesn´t rain while I´m gone so I can pack for Tomorrow. Can´t believe another week has gone by, time is moving quickly around here...

No comments:

Post a Comment