Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Stop #2: MADRID JMJ 2011

2 things surprised me from the get-go:
   1) How I missed speaking Spanish! I was very happy to be in Spain and be able to show-off my skills to my group haha...It was definitely a blessing though, not just to get around but to translate for others as well (there were a few bilanguals in the group but we split up to do activities, etc. so they weren't always around).
    2) The Heat!
oh boy! To combat this, the locals take long siestas in the middle of the day and stay out all hours of the night. Such a different lifestyle, but def. enjoyed it.Thankful for the JMJ abican (fan) in our packs.

Now for the real highlights....
    BULLFIGHT!
Now, I am not about animal cruelty, but I figure I am in Madrid might as well have the experience.
It wasn't as intense as you would imagine, but interesting. I loved their Matador outfits and the way the bull fought back, but other bulls just let it happen like they knew they were going to die and accepted their fate. Sometimes more than one matador would get involved and I found that a little unfair haha, but apparently they are given points based on their performance. They get 3 bulls each and the bull always dies in the end:(
After a few bulls Maria and I decide to leave early and catch a concert en Parque de Retiro and enjoy our evening exploring and chatting.

     SEEING SLMS FROM MY VOLUNTEER GROUP !!I get separated from my group, but still make it to the opening Mass and who do I see on my way to the Metro, but RUDY and MEG from domestic volunteer program! what are the chances
Two different days at chatechisis in the mornings I find Kristina (who was my roommate at orientation last year and was in India all this time at a deaf school) and Crystal (she is with Cabrini actually, was and will continue to work in the Philippines). God is so good to bring each of us together in the crowd, so crazyy!! And of course I saw a few Bolivian groups during the week, also very exciting and fun to chat with them.

    ARCHBISHOP DOLAN FROM NY
3 mornings we went as a big group to Catechisis where a speaker would start and then a bishop would come to do the main talk followed by Mass. Dolan's was my favorite of the week, he really emphasized living with JOY (1. Jesus 2. Others 3. Ourselves). I had seen this idea on a button before at NCYC but the way he described it was really nice. Fun band played during Mass... how I enjoy dancing in church!
    
    RUNNING DOWN THE STREET FOR ONE LAST GLANCE AT THE POPE
It was amazing to see the crowd! People were sitting on lampposts, dancing, chanting, waving their flags, and making signs, getting pumped! We met people from Madagascar, Spain, Honduras, and France all in our little section...all there early, waiting in our front row spots to see el papa!!When he finally arrives a few hours later, we get a good view then after he speaks we run down another street to see him leave.
   
     INTERN'L ROSARY AND ROSARY ON THE ROOF
Ppl from all over the world prayed the rosary in their native languages the rosary and they even included QUECHUA, one of Bolivia's indigenous languages, so I prayed along...our last night at the school in Madrid, I got a group of us together to do an intentions rosary on the roof. We prayed for those in our family, at WYD that they will share this experience and the Word of God with others, those struggling with their faith and other life issues, and of course my girls at the hogar, fellow missionaries and discernment. Although we fought a few giggle fits as we watched the moving clouds in the dimly lit night sky, I feel our prayer was heard and was strong. These are the moments I love, things I really need in my life... a faith community, prayer, and of course some fun! 

      PAPAL MASS AT CUATRO VIENTOS What an amazing way to end our week! Walking in the heat with thousands of others, trying not to get swept away in the crowd and setting up camp in our section of the grass...er straw...fighting the wind and crazy rainstorm that swept us during the Pope's speech Sat. night and then breaking away with Ramon to delay sleep and meet those who are up (my fave group that night being from Gabon, Africa), using our Spanish and I tried to use what french I remembered when I had the chance too haha. When we got back to our spot, I again laid out my little blanket and using my raincoat to cover me, I surprisingly never slept better.
I love sleeping outside! When it's Mass time, things are back to normal...well sorta, besides the damaged hosts (meaning no communion for us), we were all alert and cheery, having survived the chilly evening.

After Mass, we await the Pope's announcement for the next WYD....2013 Rio, Brazil !


   

No comments:

Post a Comment